Mon Sept 14th to Fri Sept 18th 2020
Mon Oct 12th to Fri Oct 16th 2020
In this 4 day course we will learn chip carving using both a traditional chip carving knife and a selection of woodcarving chisels and gouges.
We will learn how to carve simple relief carved designs and how to make pierced patterns using a fret saw.
We will learn how to make a design and transfer it to your wooden blank.
We will discuss how to decide which types of wood and which pieces of wood are most suitable for our project and we will experiment with carving on different woods.
Time will be spent learning how to properly sharpen our tools and how to decide which tool is appropriate for each application.
We will also discuss good practise and basic safety whilst using sharp tools.
If time allows we will take a trip to Brecon museum to see their collection of lovespoons.
Pat Price of The Lovespoon Gallery at The Mumbles will give us an evening talk on the symbolism and history of the Welsh Lovespoon.
Pat is arguably the world authority on Lovespoons having spent her life collecting, selling, and talking about Lovespoons
Nansi has a lifetime's experience as a wood carver and lovespoon maker.
She was taught by her father Alan Hemming, a renowned spoon carver.
Her spoon carving is widely regarded as amongst the best in the country.
Over the years she has taught many other people to carve and to make lovespoons.
She also has a reputation as a highly skilled chainsaw carver, having won National and International chainsaw carving competitions.
- Arrival Monday afternoon from 4pm onwards
- Monday evening meet the group and your tutor
- Carving sessions 10 am to 1 pm and 2pm to 4.00 pm Tues, Wed, Thurs and Fri morning
- Friday Afternoon leave after lunch
- 4 nights accommodation (see our seperate accommodation pages for more info)
- Continental breakfast and light buffet lunch each day served in the big hall of the main house
- Tuition during the carving sessions and all materials to complete the project
- One person in a single room (shared bathroom) £550
- One person in a double/twin room or glamping £650
- Two people, both carving in a double/twin room or glamping £899 (£450 each)
- One carver with non participating partner in a double/twin room or glamping £699
- Family glamping option - up to 2 children £80 extra