Life Drawing and Portraiture
May 2021 - dates to follow
Life. (or figure) drawing, is an absolute essential for learning to draw and forms the foundation for all other art work developing an understanding of lay out, proportion, line, tone, texture and composition. We will learn from the work of the Great Masters, and work in a variety of materials such as pencil, conte, charcoal and chalk, watercolour and ink. We will learn to develop fluidity and style in this subject and an understanding of the whole process of drawing and the importance of life drawing to art practice.
Making a portrait can be a chance to glimpse beneath the surface reality of a person. It is an opportunity to investigate and study character, describing far more about a person than a photograph ever can. In this workshop, we will work with both ourselves and others. Gradually we will build and develop the feeling of a person’s presence, their ideas, character and the feelings and atmosphere that emanates from them, as well as that crucial component of how we uniquely see them.
Tutor:- Artist, writer and Specialist Art Teacher Janis Fry.
Janis has a lifetime’s experience of teaching Art. She is an encouraging and inspiring tutor. Able to paint and draw in any media, she is a master of mixed media whose own work is loose and expressive but also well calculated. Janis runs art holidays in Brittany each year and has taught in Paris, Venice, Amsterdam, as well as locally here in West Wales
Janis studied at
Bangor University and Swansea College of Art and is a Specialist Art Teacher. She also ran a pottery, a screen printing firm and an international painted silk gowns business, for a large part of her life.
- Arrival Monday afternoon from 4pm onwards
- Monday evening meet the group and your tutor
- Painting sessions 10 am to 1 pm and 2pm to 4.30 pm Tues, Wed, Thurs and Fri morning
- Friday Afternoon leave after lunch
- 4 nights accommodation (see our seperate accommodation pages for more info)
- Continental breakfast and light buffet lunch each day served in the big hall of the main house
- Tuition during the painting sessions and access to the studio until 10pm Tues, Wed, Thurs evenings
- One person in a single room (shared bathroom) £550
- One person in a double/twin room or glamping £650
- Two people, both painting in a double/twin room or glamping £899 (£449.50 each)
- One painter with non painting partner in a double/twin room or glamping £699
- Family glamping option - up to 2 children £80 extra