Contemporary Art Practise
Monday September 28th to Friday October 2nd 2020
This course is designed to help those painters, experienced or not, who are tired of traditional ways of painting and wish to go in a new direction with their work but may not know where to begin in that process, or dare to. The course is fun, challenging, and diverse, meeting with new and emerging ideas and encouraging participants to explore the use and application of materials, in innovative ways and combinations, to find, see and portray things differently, taking leaps and working beyond comfort zones, in a supportive atmosphere. We will combine painting, collage, drawing and simple printmaking in ways that pull together both unconscious and conscious ways of expression to find a more exciting, authentic, and our own unique approach to image making. We will investigate and reassess mark making, composition, texture, colour, tone, presentation and subject matter in ways that attempt to get to the core of who we are, how we see things and what we are trying to do with our work. Painting will be mainly in acrylic but will also use other materials, such as watercolour, oil pastel, conte pencil, ink and gouache.
Tutor:- Artist, writer and Specialist Art Teacher Janis Fry.
Janis has a lifetime’s experience of teaching Art. She is an encouraging and inspiring tutor. Able to paint and draw in any media, she is a master of mixed media whose own work is loose and expressive but also well calculated. Janis runs art holidays in Brittany each year and has taught in Paris, Venice, Amsterdam, as well as locally here in West Wales
Janis studied at
Bangor University and Swansea College of Art and is a Specialist Art Teacher. She also ran a pottery, a screen printing firm and an international painted silk gowns business, for a large part of her life.
- Arrival Monday afternoon from 4pm onwards
- Monday evening meet the group and your tutor
- Painting sessions 10 am to 1 pm and 2pm to 4.30 pm Tues, Wed, Thurs and Fri morning
- Friday Afternoon leave after lunch
- 4 nights accommodation (see our seperate accommodation pages for more info)
- Continental breakfast and light buffet lunch each day served in the big hall of the main house
- Tuition during the painting sessions and access to the studio until 10pm Tues, Wed, Thurs evenings
- One person in a single room (shared bathroom) £550
- One person in a double/twin room or glamping £650
- Two people, both painting in a double/twin room or glamping £899 (£449.50 each)
- One painter with non painting partner in a double/twin room or glamping £699
- Family glamping option - up to 2 children £80 extra