July 2021 - dates to follow
This workshop will be conducted outside, ‘en plein air’, weather permitting, as well as in the studio, where we will work from both sketches and photographs. We will study such things as composition, light and shadow, colour, texture, focus, perspective, drama and the idea behind a painting. We hope to visit some of the impressive castles in the area for use as subject matter, as well as working from some dramatic landscape and river views found at our venue. We will study the landscape as it changes with the weather and light, responding to this in terms of colour and mood. We will make drawings in charcoal, conte, Inktense and watercolour, using line, marks and tone, studying the boundaries of things as they dissolve or stand distinctly separate. These drawing may stand as works in their own right or form the basis for acrylic paintings made later in the studio.
Tutor:- Artist, writer and Specialist Art Teacher Janis Fry.
Janis has a lifetime’s experience of teaching Art. She is an encouraging and inspiring tutor. Able to paint and draw in any media, she is a master of mixed media whose own work is loose and expressive but also well calculated. Janis runs art holidays in Brittany each year and has taught in Paris, Venice, Amsterdam, as well as locally here in West Wales
Janis studied at
Bangor University and Swansea College of Art and is a Specialist Art Teacher. She also ran a pottery, a screen printing firm and an international painted silk gowns business, for a large part of her life.
- Arrival Monday afternoon from 4pm onwards
- Monday evening meet the group and your tutor
- Painting sessions 10 am to 1 pm and 2pm to 4.30 pm Tues, Wed, Thurs and Fri morning
- Friday Afternoon leave after lunch
- 4 nights accommodation (see our seperate accommodation pages for more info)
- Continental breakfast and light buffet lunch each day served in the big hall of the main house
- Tuition during the painting sessions and access to the studio until 10pm Tues, Wed, Thurs evenings
- One person in a single room (shared bathroom) £550
- One person in a double/twin room or glamping £650
- Two people, both painting in a double/twin room or glamping £899 (£449.50 each)
- One painter with non painting partner in a double/twin room or glamping £699
- Family glamping option - up to 2 children £80 extra